Friday, August 10, 2007

STOCK MARKET



My dad and I opened up a Scottrade account for me, to get me jump-started in the world of the Stock Market. My boss at work is wonderfully helpful in explaining things of this nature, but I still don't grasp the whole idea of the market. He said that, basically, what drives the whole market is how much people think each company is worth.
I plan on doing a lot of wikipedia self-education on this. They were extremely helpful when I was reading for an account at work on an insurance company. 'Stock Market' on Wikipedia.

Right now, my approach to investment is what my boss calls "Street corner investing." Where, basically, I look at the businesses that I see doing well and that my friends and I use a lot. Right now, that is Google (GOOG), Chipotle (CMG), J. Crew (JCG), Apple (APPL), and JetBlue Airlines (JBLU). Unfortunately, the market is currently down, so all of my favorite stocks are down too.




Saturday Night Live: "Straight Talk About Today's Investments"

1 comment:

  1. You should talk to Jarett. He knows market stuff. All I really wanted him to tell me was "yes, you will eventually have money to buy a house and retire some day if you do this." He tried to explain the whole market thing to me, but I told him to stop after 5 seconds because I was so bored. SO, I guess if you're really that interested, give him a ring :).

    ReplyDelete