Friday, September 28, 2007

Bill and Flossie Williams' Refrigerator


I love the poem by William Carlos Williams "This is Just to Say." I printed it out and put it on our refrigerator. I love WCW, he's simple and succinct and beautiful. I found out today in my Postmodern Poetry class that his wife Florence (Flossie) wrote him back. Here are the two poems.

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast.

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold.


Reply

(crumped on her desk)

Dear Bill: I've made a
couple of sandwiches for you.
In the ice-box you'll find
blue-berries--a cup of grapefruit
a glass of cold coffee.

On the stove is the tea-pot
with enough tea leaves
for you to make tea if you
prefer--Just light the gas--
boil the water and put it in the tea

Plenty of bread in the bread-box
and butter and eggs--
I didn't know just what to
make for you. Several people
called up about office hours--

See you later. Love. Floss.

Please switch off the telephone.

No comments:

Post a Comment