Friday, October 12, 2007

Kudos to Radiohead



Radiohead is releasing a new record on December 3 and so far no record labels (and therefore no record stores) are getting to sell the album. Way to go Radiohead. Although I'm a passive fan (and that's stretching it), I respect this "stick it to the man" move.
It seems like this might be the way things are going, with Web 2.0 and all. It seems like the music movement that Napster started years ago might actually finally change the record industry.
Ever since my dad forced me to stop using free illegal music downloads a couple years ago, I haven't known where to go next. I downloaded from Walmart (88 cents) for awhile but their licenses always ran out or my computer died with all of them on there. Too much hassle, when I buy a song I want to buy the song. Now I just buy the CD off of Half.com (I love them) which kind of hits two birds with one stone - I have the song and it's cheap. But still, the artists don't get my money.

The way things are going and how fast the music and technology industries change, I'm sure this will be all ironed out in the next decade. It's just irritating now.

Oh and did I mention that Radiohead is letting its fans decide the price they want to pay for the album? That's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment