Friday, October 19, 2007

Love



I've been thinking about how to love others as I love myself. I'm confident I got the beginning of this idea from a talk I've heard recently but I can't remember.
I think I had this idea of loving others as I love myself as this unreachable level of loving others where I didn't even think about myself anymore and kind of dissolved into a nothingness of myself but only goodness pouring out of me.
I don't think that's true, but who knows. If I ever get there and it looks like that, I'll recant.
I've been thinking about how I love myself. In a lot of ways I'm not as easy on myself as I am on others. I don't always assume the best of myself. I want to get better. I think about things and repent. Sometimes I'm mad at myself for a couple days. Sometimes I'm exceedingly happy with myself for a couple days.
But the point of the scripture (as I've always heard it) is to want the best (as in, what God wants for them) for people. And I've always kind of sidestepped that by saying "well, I don't know what God wants for them" or just didn't think about it. But the way that I want the best for myself and what God wants for me is that I repent and concede to Him.

In Malaysia, Kevin Burrell gave a talk where he gave the best definition of repentance I've heard:
"repentance is giving as much of yourself as you know to as much of Christ as you know"

No comments:

Post a Comment