Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Jerram Barrs and Fan Art

Jerram Barrs came and spoke at my church tonight! It was really cool. He spoke on 'Harry Potter and the Power of Sacrificial Love' or something and it was wonderful. I forgot how very exact L'Abri speakers are, no matter what their topic is. Jerram treated Harry Potter like he was Sartre or something by the way he analyzed the text and brought up key points, etc. It was amazing and extremely impressive.

He also addressed the Dumbledore coming out as gay thing, which is something that I was wondering about. Barrs' perspective on it is that Dumbledore had the gay crush on his friend during a time in his teenage years which Dumbledore looked back upon with shame. Interesting that JK Rowling came out with it at all. I wonder what her thoughts were on the whole thing.

Well, anyway, I was sitting next to my friend Shaun, who's a big fan of Harry Potter and is slowly introducing me to the world of Anime and all the glories that come along with it. Well, one thing that I had no idea existed is Fan Art. Apparently people fill in the gaps left by their favorite authors/video game creators/movie directors, etc. and create their own art about the characters. She sent me a video that her friend made about the would-be relationship between Severus Snape and Lily Potter. This will only be sweet to you if you have read book 7 and like Dashboard Confessional. Just a warning.

4 comments:

  1. do you know about fan fiction too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, vaguely. it's this whole subculture, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay wait... i know snape had a crush on lily potter and harry's dad made fun of snape and stuff. but did lily come back to life and make out with him or something? is this all taking place in harry potter heaven? did lily ever even like snape or know that he liked her? is harry's dad a bad guy in these books? i'm most likely never going to read them so someone please just tell me!

    ReplyDelete