Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ode to Bureaucracy

I have a love-hate relationship with Mizzou's bureaucracy. Graduating from this institution is notoriously tricky and so I am taking the utmost care in seeing all the right people and covering every base so I don't get the dreaded "Oh, yeah, that class is a requirement for your major, I can't believe your adviser freshman year didn't tell you that. Yeah, I guess you'll have to take it in summer school or stay another semester" No effing way. I've already been screwed twice, having taken two classes that I had AP credit for in high school.

So I discovered that I somewhat meet the requirements for a minor in Leadership and Public Service (whatever that means - my Dad said it sounds good and he's a professor at a grad school) and while I was checking all of that out they told me that my adviser has been changed (third time in my college career). And I had met with her two days earlier. Had she told me this? No. I felt betrayed.

One cool thing about Mizzou's bureaucracy is that if you talk to the right person all doors are opened for you. Example: when I was trying to swing getting my capstone (final Senior project thing) internship to be with my youth pastor for Krew (in St. Louis) for the summer I just talked to the secretary for my head guy for my major and she said "sure, whatever" and signed a piece of paper and I was home free. Glorious.

Most people are pretty helpful, especially in the Humanities. Because if they really cared about their jobs and going by the rules they wouldn't be doing what they're doing. It would be too frustrating.

Sorry if this post is disjointed and makes no sense. I accidentally drank a Mocha and a Latte on an empty stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment