Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Parties / guys hitting on you / thinking way too much about things / arguments with my mom



I've had an on-going argument with my mom about dressing nicer and more attractively since middle school. Because of the differences in the way we think, the discussion has been frustrating yet informative.

Her argument:
Dressing nicer and more attractively is being a good steward of what God gave you. Not doing so is being ingenuine (is that a word?). But mostly, Marta, you're not going to get a boyfriend if you go out in ratty t-shirts.

My argument:
After being led-on one too many times by guys who make everyone seem like they're the most important thing in the world, I'm a little afraid of being the attractive girl who talks to you but in reality you have a 1% of going out with her. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it does in my head. Really, I would just rather dress normally and not get hit on than risk getting some guy's hopes up.

So mostly my question right now is how can I give God glory in a situation when a guy I'm not interested in is flirting with me? Does it glorify Him to try to be more attractive, attract guys, and then turn them down? I don't get it.

Just as a final point, my position right now about clothing, appearance, etc. is that it should be an outward manifestation of your insides - like art.

This ongoing argument is also linked to my own semi-internal argument about whether I should get dredlocks or not. Is getting dreds some kind of ticket out of getting hit on for appearances sake alone? Or what? No answers yet.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.knottyboy.com/salon/

    the girl in your picture is Caridee from ANTM. She won her cycle actually

    ReplyDelete
  2. the clothing as art idea is an awesome one. I say wear what you wear, and trust the Lord to provide. Moms just want more grandkids.

    ReplyDelete