Friday, December 28, 2007

Stolen things:

Looking on Cassidy Shearrer's blog, I just found out about the future residence of three of Columbia's best businesses. The RagTag Cinemacafe, Uprise Bakery, and 9th St. Video are all moving to a place on Hitt St.! For ease, and in honor of the typical clientele of these fine establishments, I shall take to calling the complex "indie-ville" or "hipster-town," whichever catches on first. The article (here) says that a lot of Columbia artists are working hard to make the renovated space beautiful and unique. It should be open in time for the True/False Film Festival in February. I'm excited. I've never been to True/False because I've coincidentally been out of town each year and wasn't cool enough freshman year. It's a festival of all indie movies and they're all super-wonderful and interesting and they bring in lots of producers/directors. I'll probably stop going to class that Friday.

My second stolen thing comes from Mondo. I love public art and (as it is called here) subconscious art. Here's a sweet video from Mondo's blog on the accidental beauty that comes from covering up public graffiti.


the subconscious art of graffiti removal (excerpt) from matt mccormick on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. Fwiw, I think that "hipster-town" is the catchier of the two, though combining them into "hipsterville" might be best of all.

    Also, in an odd coincidence, Matt's "Subconscious Art . . . " video was shown back in the early days of Ragtag, and was certainly an inspiration (one of many) for the genesis of the T/F Film Fest. And, if you're an indie trivia buff, that's Miranda July on the bicycle.

    best,

    david w.
    (ragtag & t/f co-founder)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mistake. That's Miranda doing the voice-over.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. A) REALLY COOL!!! that he commented ^^^
    B) I have my movie list on a blog now
    (www.thefilmlist.blogspot.com)

    C) Good Luck Chuck wasn't completely terrible, it had some cute moments but it is pretty vulgar... very rightly rated R

    D)Mere Christianity is going well, I'm on chapter 5 or so..I only reaad one chapter at a time so I can digest it properly

    E) I signed up to volunteer for T/F
    and I'm really freaking excited

    ReplyDelete
  4. hopefully equally cool local businesses will move into the old locations instead of expensive clothing stores. they should screen the new people and maybe hold a local Hipster Olympics to make sure they're good enough and have a level of artsy-ness.

    ReplyDelete