Wednesday, February 13, 2008

L'Brizzle


View Larger Map
A massive amount of people from my college youth group - Veritas - are going to the L'Abri Conference in Rochester, Minnesota (my mom's home town!) this weekend. We're packing my tiny Volvo S40 up with two large men and three normal-sized girls. It'll be a tight fit. Here are the lectures I'm excited about going to (full list):

"How John Cusack Ruined My Life: How Movies Shape Our Expected Relationships" by David Richter

"Grace at the Table: Lessons from Little Miss Sunshine and Other Unlikely Characters" by Margie Haack

"Between the Bible and Brain Scans: Understanding Depression" by Richard Winter

"Men and Women: Can We Be Friends?" by Sue Morrell

"Modern Day Piracy and the Ethics of File Sharing" by David Richter

"Flowers, Beauty and Truth" by Jane Winter (I love her, she's the kind of woman I want to be)

"Hospitality: A Renewwed Vision for Counter-cultural Christianity in our Times" by Andrew Fellows (He is a worker at English L'Abri and a great speaker)

"The Shapes of our cities and how we live in them" by Alen Jensen

"Sex: Agony and Ecstasy" by Richard Winter

"Alienation, Utopias and the Cry for the Whole Gospel in the Brazilian Culture" by Rodolfo Souza (this would be awesome - I'm very excited about the L'Abri in Brazil. In my Global Perspectives and Realities class, we each have to pick a sojourn country to study and to make a travel proposal for and mine is Brazil).


This'll be my third year at the conference, and I'm pretty stoked. The hotel that the conference is at - the Kahler Grand - has a shady pool at the top of the building that no one ever goes in except me and Allie and a bunch of 11 year old boys there for a basketball tournament. Whatever.

4 comments:

  1. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

    im so excited! also several of the lectures you're interested in, i also am interested in. yay!

    every year i am so sad when we have to narrow it down to only 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those all sound so awesome! I wish I could go. is that john cusack one a reference or taken from sex, drugs and cocoa puffs? because i think chuck klosterman wrote a chapter on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you know Jane? I agree that she's wonderful.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine,
    Her husband is a coworker of my dad's. She's absolutely wonderful. I wasn't able to go to her lecture on flowers and beauty, but I bought it on CD and look forward to listening to it!

    ReplyDelete