Thursday, February 7, 2008

Things I've Learned in Class

From my Adolescent development class: The latin root word for 'puberty' is 'pubescere' which means 'to grow hairy'...hahaha. I have a hard time not giggling in that class. Which is why I work with high schoolers.

From my Environmental Biology class, I learned that the Columbia power plant is using the methane from human waste to give us power. Awesome. Here's the article.

From the same class, a quote from Aldo Leopold "One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds. Much of the damage inflicted on land is quite invisible to laymen. An ecologist must either harden his shell and make believe that the consequences of science are none of his business, or he must be the doctor who sees the marks of death in a community that believes itself well and does not want to be told otherwise."

- That quote could have easily been by C.S. Lewis about Christianity. It is so interesting that human beings react the same way to knowledge - be it environmental or theological. Do you act on what you know? Do you confront others about it?

more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment