Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Pill


(link)

To continue the estrogen-fueled rampage...today in my Human Evolution (Anthropological Biology) class, we talked about male contraceptives a bit, and it made me wonder how technology is shaping up on that front. It can't be that much harder to make a male version of "the pill," it's been 48 years, after all.

"It is now believed that an MHC (male hormone contraceptive, i believe) in the form of a daily pill could be available on the market within 5 to 7 years and implants could arrive even sooner."

“It is time for men to have some control. I think it would empower men and deter some women out there from their nefarious plans,” says Brown. “Some women are out there to use men to get pregnant. This could deter women from doing this. An athlete or a singer is someone who could be a target and they could put a stop to that.” (MSNBC.com article) Hahaha...

Wikipedia article on Male Oral Contraceptives (here)

Graphic description of how male contraceptives work (here)

4 comments:

  1. oh YEAH, men need contraceptives to protect them from those crazy women who want to get pregnant! they're everywhere! that is the hugest load of BS I've ever heard. men need contraceptives cuz they can't keep it in their pants and they don't like to use condoms. give me a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, obviously you haven't listened to john legend "stereo" or kanye "golddigger" enough. men and women manipulate each other all the time, this is just another way they do it. i think men should be able to protect themselves to the full extent that women can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh, I hate 'the pill' and its brethren (sisteren?). No matter what form it's in, it's still false hormones and chemicals put into your body to stop it working the way it should.

    Fertility Awareness Method for the win. It's kept me unimpregnated for six and a half months thus far, and let me tell you, internets, that we do not curb our sexual impulses one little bit.

    We use condoms when I am fertile, and no, they aren't as nice, but it keeps the sperm away from my ovaries, and that's what we want. And besides, we only have to use condoms seven days out of the month. I'm willing to pay that price, if it means that the other twenty-one days leave me clearheaded, slightly more balanced, pimple-free, and unbloated.

    Sorry, I'm kind of obsessed with my anti-the pill activism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the perspective from someone who's actually having sex. much appreciated.
    yeah, i'm kind of undecided on the "whether or not to give myself hormones" debate. to my knowledge there haven't been any lasting negative effects of 'the pill,' but it still seems kind of unnatural.

    ReplyDelete