Saturday, August 23, 2008

Orientating and such

I had my first legit seminary experiences last night and today. Seminary is a bizarre world, but I think I'm going to like it.

One thing that worried me about coming to seminary is the effect it would have on my sense of humor. In one of my experiences hanging out with a group of seminarians previous to enrolling, Greek grammar jokes were thrown around and everyone laughed. It was appalling. What if one day I too thought Greek grammar and exegetical jokes were funny? Perish the thought.

Today something (I thought was) funny happened, but in my test runs with telling the story to a couple friends no one laughed. I think I'm beginning to slide down the slippery slope.

Entrants of most of the degree programs have to take a Bible Content Exam. For most degree programs, if you fail the exam you have to take a couple extra Bible classes - no biggie. So - I answer the multiple choice section the best I can, skip over the "outline the book of 2 Timothy" questions, and I'm done in 1/2 an hour. But no one else is. 80% of those who take the exam fail it. What is everyone doing? Trying to fill up the 2 hours allotted?? So, I look around me and stand up and walk out of a room with 100+ seminary students scribbling furiously. wtf. Well, it made me laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Marta, I recognze the humor in that story. Don't worry, I will always be here to laugh at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally thought it was HILARIOUS - your willingness to be honest always gives me permission and the freedom to be honest too - thanks always.

    ReplyDelete