Monday, September 8, 2008

Guide to: Celebrating your Birthday on Facebook



It's weird in a social-dynamic way who wishes you happy birthday on facebook. It is never the people you talk to on a regular basis. It is only the "guy who dated my best friend in high school" or the "youth group kid" or the "girl from the group project in college" or "girl I've been meaning to hang out with now that I moved back to St. Louis" or the "friend of a friend who I always thought was cool." All whom I speak to once every three months, at the most.

After discussing it with my roommates, I think I will take these birthday wishes as compliments. They saw my name on the side of the facebook home page, thought "Oh, I liked her" and wrote me a note.

These people are below the level of friendship where I would say "um, you didn't call me??" and above the level of friendship where I would say "who are you??" The happy medium level of "Oh! I like you!" It's nice to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment