Wednesday, December 3, 2008

a marriage of mediocrity

united in their over-ratedness

I've been thinking lately about what is like for Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin to be married to each other.  Neither talk about each other in interviews or appear much together in paparazzi pictures.  In fact, there is so little public interaction that the nasty tabloids have speculated about the health of their marriage.  But that's not what I'm talking about.  

People get together for all sorts of reasons.  Chris and Gwen got married because Gwyneth was preggers with Apple.  Gwyneth said yes to Chris because he was the only English bloke ballsy enough to ask her out.  

But I'm more thinking about the level of their respective outputs of art.  I'm a fan of Coldplay.  I drove across Missouri to Kansas City to see them play.  I'm actually watching Coldplay (with Michael Stipe) on Austin City Limits right now.  "The Scientist" is one of my favorite songs of all time.  I will not, however, defend the level of Coldplay's lyrics.  They beat around the bush, they pretend to say something when they say nothing at all.  But...the music is great. 

 As for Gwyneth, the last standable movie she was in (in my opinion) was The Royal Tenenbaums in 2001!  Since then she has miraculously kept her respectablility as an actress while still producing mediocre performances in a range of crappy to awesome films.  

Therefore, my thesis statement:  Chris and Gwen are MFEO (made for each other) because they are both over-rated.  

2 comments: