Friday, December 12, 2008

maawidge



Thornton Wilder:
"I didn't marry you because you were perfect.  I didn't even marry you because I loved you.  I married you because you gave me a promise.  That promise made up for your faults.  And the promise I gave you made up for mine.  Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage.  And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasn't our love that protected them - it was that promise."

I'm not sure I completely agree with the quote (unless the promise is grounded in Christ, allowing us to keep the promise).  But, I'm reading up for my Marriage and Family Counseling class and marriage is on the brain.  A book we had to read about singleness and dating (which will remain nameless because of the shameful ridiculousness of the title - I won't even have it posted on my blog) that basically said that to be sure to avoid selfishness in life we all need marriage.  I've never thought about needing marriage before.  Maybe I do need marriage.  

No comments:

Post a Comment