Wednesday, December 31, 2008

the quest to become more white

I gave my sister-in-law the book Stuff White People Like for christmas, named after the wonderful blog. In the back of the book they have a quiz with 150 things that white people like and the reader is to go through them, checking off which ones they like. I scored a 75%. Pretty white. However, my whiteness quotient would have increased more had I known what some of the things are. Therefore, since I seem to appreciate most white things (I know that I shouldn't be happy about this, but I'm a lover and hater of all sub-cultures equally) I am going to look up the white stuff I've never heard of and hopefully love them too.

noam chomsky
michel gondry
michael chabon - the amazing adventures of kavalier & clay
jay mcinerney - bright lights, big city
neutral milk hotel
joanna newsom
mos def
mcsweeney's
the utne reader
saveur

now, i've heard of mos def and have seen most of michel gondry's films, but i obviously don't have enough working knowledge of them to declare, "i'm white and i like them." So, this will be my project until I go back to Graduate School (#81 on the list).

3 comments:

  1. That's funny - my cousins and I were just reading through that blog this week and we found ourselves to be pretty white as well.

    Is it fair to call whiteness a subculture? It seems like the alpha culture. I suppose the whiteness captured by the blog is mostly yuppie and hipster specific, which I hope isn't the alpha culture.

    ReplyDelete