Friday, January 30, 2009

Culture and The Wounded Heart

"Love is a powerful force and energy to reclaim the potential good in another, even at the risk of great sacrifice and loss.
For example, if another's arrogance destroys the possibility of relationship with us and with God, we must hate his arrogance and see it as a cancer to be destroyed  In one way, the cancerous mass can be said to be a part of the man, but in another sense it is a foreign, alien thing that is not part of God's original design.  If we are to hate what is evil and cling to what is good, we are constrained to detest all that is consonant with evil and bind ourselves to whatever is good.  Therefore, love is not anemic unconditional acceptance that ignores evil in others or ourselves (Matthew 7:3-6).  It is not contradictory to love someone, desire their good, and equally work toward destroying their cancer through bringing them to repentance and faith" (242).

Dan Allender, The Wounded Heart

What does the truth of bold love have to do with how we look at cultures?  We might love the culture but still see severe issues in the culture (lies that they are believing).  This reminds me of my favorite non-fiction book in the world (that I haven't finished yet): Discipling Nations by Darrow Miller

2 comments:

  1. I once had a friend who is a missionary tell me (quite carelessly) that really all culture is, is a result of sin. I almost vomited, but decided I shouldn't, so I closed my mouth and loudly disagreed, inwardly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I guess the Israelites were "loving the wounded hearts" of the tribes of Manasseh, Reuben, and Gad when they confronted them and almost went to war against them in Josh 22.

    ReplyDelete