Tuesday, February 3, 2009

thoughts i have while in class

I went on a krew (our youth group) leader retreat last weekend and my friend DP said that he thinks that the predominate issues of our generation is our power of access.  he went on to say that we can get anything we want at any time, and this messes with our brains.  

i don't have all the arguments straight in my mind yet about whether power of access is necessarily a bad thing.  and i know i'm not saying a very original thought here.  

all i know is that the way i think about my day is very different now that i have access to facebook, my cell phone text messages, email, and wireless internet.  this is to be constrasted with times when i did not have access - like the three months i was at l'abri.  

also, when i have a task in mind and can accomplish it immediately - via fbook, text, etc. - i feel a sense of power that is non-existant the rest of my day.  i am in charge, i am the instigator!

i also have seen that i construct a kind of artificial barrier between myself and these points of connection.  i don't respond to emails, i disable fbook chat, text messages annoy me, i screen phone calls.  these are all "rude" things to do.  

krew is thinking about having a technology retreat for the kids at the cabin we spent the leadership retreat at.  i wonder if the students will even want it or know how much they may need it.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really think those things are rude. Sometimes you've gotta draw the line somewhere. And maybe people shouldn't have access to you whenever they want either.

    ReplyDelete