Wednesday, May 13, 2009

true that, sartorialist!

"Rolled shorts - it brings up a question. What is "fashion" versus what is "style?"

Rolled shorts could easily become a trend or fashion, but unless everyone is doing it (I guess in this case) it would be considered personal style.

Whichever it is, I think it looks great but I'm just not a rolled shorts guy. It is not in my personal style catalog - however if rolled shorts became fashionable I would probably consider them more carefully.

As I write this I am realizing that great personal style is made up of a certain percentage of "always" items and methods, mixed with a certain percentage of "sometimes" fashions, and a certain percentage of "nevers"."

1 comment:

  1. That last line about the 'always', 'sometimes', and 'nevers' got me thinking. While he is applying it to clothing style, could the same not also be said for my style of speech (written and verbal)?

    A 'great' personal speech style, one that is truly invigorating and communicative, is made up of a certain percentage of 'always items and methods' (the simile, the dramatic pause, a didactic narrative, etc.). But when you add certain 'sometimes fashions' (a poetic rhythm, the sweeping gesture, extended metaphors, and so on) people start to smirk a little and you may feel like a thieving pantomime of 'the one person you talked to that one time'. But then you cross the line to the 'nevers' and both you and your interlocutor feel a little uneasy. And that may be exactly where the magic happens. The magic that the risky 'never' maybe the next epochs 'always'. The risk of change. The 'always' is a-temporal, the 'sometimes' is historical, but the 'nevers' are the futures of (your/their/our) style.

    Perhaps a time traveler with rolled-up black denim shorts will prove me correct.

    ReplyDelete