Saturday, July 25, 2009

hipster bingo


My old roommate Rachel and I went to the Pitchfork music festival in Chicago this past weekend. It was hipsterville, USA, up there. "Hipster," as defined by urbandictionary (it's a really long definition) includes never wanting to be called a hipster: "Drinks Pabst Blue Ribbon. Often. Complains. Always denies being a hipster. Hates the word." I think I'm a hipster. Well, if they'll take me. I think Rachel is a hipster too but she denies it.

Another definition of hipster:
You, for reading ironic, pseudo-intellectual dictionary entries on the word "hipster".
"These dictionary entries on hipsters are so comical! I'm going to email this link to 800 of my closest acquaintances, head to Value Village, grab a chai and then play kickball in a headband and short-shorts."
Anyways, on to the point of the post. Pitchfork was perfect hunting grounds for hipsters: obscure bands, Chicago (has its own hipster districts too! And here, I thought they only came from Brooklyn or Williamsburg! - which is actually where many of the bands from Pitchfork came from), and lots of ethnic food booths.

So Rachel and I sat down in the grass (hipster points) and wrote out a board for hipster bingo: ironic tshirt, vest, fedora, keds, ironic tattoo (a large smiling tooth on the forearm?!), plugs, vintage camera, men in tight jorts, smoking a joint (actual visual, not just smelling it), contraband alcohol, sweat head band, ironic use of American flag print, fu manchu, high socks, full beard, scrunchie, sports jersey, calculator watch, cloves, ironic animal shirt, monochrome tattoo (not black), oversized glasses, ethnic print, Ray Ban Wayfarers

But, alas, hipster bingo didn't turn out to be as fun as we thought it would be. It was kind of too easy. Everyone looked the same. Going into Pitchfork, I was expecting the creative outfits I see on Facehunter but everyone was in jorts, a plaid shirt, and wayfarers. Everyone.

So Rachel and I made up another version of Bingo which was way more fun: "WTF are you doing here?" Bingo.
- an ethnic minority, Hollister, new running shoes, spaghetti straps, greek lettters, a polo, cargo shorts, big leather mall purse, backwards hat, capris on a girl, wire frame glasses, gauchos, a new university shirt, camouflage, vera bradley, baggy jeans, a costume, high heels, gray hair, visible muscles, children, a fake tan, butterfly tattoo, no shirt, North Face

Way more fun.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny because the subtext of hipster attire is, "I don't give a fuck, I'm not mainstream, I'm subculture" but then you realize that the outfit is practically a uniform, and they're clearly trying very hard to fit into hipsterdom (which is so so so mainstream and not limited to Williamsburg, BK!). I want to shove their self-important Wayfarers where the sun don't shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! favorite Marta posts are when you write and comment on whatever. i laughed out loud several times! more Marta-opinions please

    ReplyDelete