Monday, July 20, 2009

Thou

"...now that I am about to leave this world, I realize there is nothing more astonishing than a human face. Boughton and I have talked about that, too. It has something to do with incarnation. You feel your obligation to a child when you have seen it and held it. Any human face is a claim on you, because you can't help but understand the singularity of it, the courage and loneliness of it. But this is truest of the face of an infant."

- from Gilead by Marilynne Robinson


I have begun to read I and Thou by Martin Buber (Google Books), which was the book that the ballsy people at L'Abri read. It's difficult to work through, so I am simply skipping sentences that confuse me and hoping to grasp the general concept before my attention wears out. I think I am reading 8 books right now. It keeps my mind buzzing.

No comments:

Post a Comment