Wednesday, September 23, 2009

and tonight.


Sweet Disposition - The Temper Trap

I just realized, through the help of itunes, that this song is in 500 days of summer. I heard it recently on 89.1 and tried to write down some lyrics "won't stop til it's over" and "a moment of love a dream a laugh" while driving/avoiding getting in an accident, so i could look it up when i got home. it is a truly beautiful song. I feel like it's what "mysterious ways" by U2, "sometimes" by james, and "send me on my way" by rusted root are to me - beautiful windows down, life-meaning giving songs. wonderful.

in other news: I heard a podcast from To the Best of Our Knowledge a couple weeks ago on David Foster Wallace. The name was vaguely familiar to me, but I don't think I could have connected him to his famous "Infinite Jest." Anyways, DFW made a commencement address at Kenyon College (where?) and they published it in a tiny book called "This is Water." I finally was able to get it from the library. Here's something I like from it. It just sounds like wisdom.

"This is not a matter of virtue - it's a matter of my choosing to do the work of somehow altering or getting free of my natural, hardwired default setting, which is to be deeply and literally self-centered, and to see and interpret everything through this lens of self.

"People who can adjust their natural default setting this way are often described as being, quote, 'well-adjusted,' which I suggest to you is not an accidental term."

No comments:

Post a Comment