Thursday, September 3, 2009

"The enduring attraction of war is this: Even with its destruction and carnage it can give us what we long for in life. It can give us purpose, meaning, a reason for living. Only when we are in the midst of conflict does the shallowness and vapidness of much of our lives become apparent. Trivia dominates our conversations and increasingly our airwaves. And war is an intoxicating elixir. it gives us resolve, a cause. It allows us to be noble."

"Many of us, restless and unfulfilled, see no supreme worth on our lives. We want more out of life. And war, at least, gives a sense that we can rise above our smallness and divisiveness."
- Chris Hedges, War is a Force that Gives us Meaning

Psalm 17:8-14 (The Message)
"Keep your eye on me;
hide me under your cool wing feathers
From the wicked who are out to get me,
from mortal enemies closing in.
Their hearts are hard as nails,
their mouths blast hot air.
They are after me, nipping my heels,
determined to bring me down,
Lions ready to rip me appart,
young lions poised to pounce.
Up, God: beard them! break them!
But your sword, free me from their clutches;
Bareheanded, God, Break these mortals,
these flat-earth people who can't think beyond today."

No comments:

Post a Comment