Tuesday, January 5, 2010

pendulum.

It's been interesting as my friends and I have become more and more interested in the spiritual disciplines to think about why we are interested in it. We obviously believe that there is a need in our individual spiritual lives for more discipline. We must feel this way because there seemed to be a lack of it in what we were taught.

I was thinking about this as I was talking with my boss today at the florist shop, who is a Christian and about my parents' age. It seems as though my parents' generation reacted against the spiritual disciplines employed by their parents' generation (my grandparents) version of Christianity. It seemed like works-righteousness. So my parents' generation reacted and pushed a grace-centered faith-based religion. My boss confirmed this.

So my generation is again seeking balance by swinging the pendulum the other way, back toward spiritual discipline. What I really want to do is be aware of and involved in the full spectrum of Christian spiritual expression.

meredith, sharon, and i are looking for a monastery near st. louis where we can go for a day or two and participate in praying the hours or silence or something.

Books:
Brian McLaren (famous for his Generous Orthodoxy and the emergent church movement): Finding our Way Again: The return of the ancient practices

No comments:

Post a Comment