Friday, January 8, 2010

welcome, elsie.

My best friend from high school, Nina, had a baby girl today. Her name is Elsie Grey. Tonight I listened to the most recent episode of This American Life on its podcast. This part of the episode made me think about the hope and longing that parents have for their kids. Welcome to the world, Elsie.

From This American Life, "2010" -
A man and his wife nicknamed their fetus POTUS (president of the united states), and dreamt about what she would look like. One day Jonathan Menjivar, the dad, who is one of the producers of Fresh Air, saw a girl on the street who looked exactly how he imagined his daughter would look. He wanted to stop and ask her questions about her life, like...

"what do you like more, seeing fireflies for the first time in the summer or the first fat snowflakes in the winter? really though, every question was some variation one the one big question I'll try my whole life to make POTUS answer 'yes' to: Are you happy? It's also, I realize, the question I can't predict the answer to."

No comments:

Post a Comment