Thursday, April 15, 2010

Living Levitically #1

Next Tuesday I start my 'Living Levitically' assignment for my Leviticus class at seminary. So far in the class we have covered the first 9 chapters - which are all descriptions of the different types of sacrifices and when and how they should be given. Thank goodness I absolutely love my teacher or this would be a huge bore-fest. Even so it's hard for me to connect all of these rules to theological principles.

I looked up the fairly well-known book The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs (works for Esquire). He was raised Jewish/secular and attempted to follow all of the laws in the Bible for a year. I haven't read the book but his website (here) is very entertaining.

here's a video of his TEDtalk on the book:



Rules I think will be hard to follow:
- Lev. 19:32 “You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.
- Lev. 19:19 " “You shall keep my statutes. You shall not let your cattle breed with a different kind. v You shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material."

Standing up around older people will just be hard to remember and difficult to explain. Also, most of my clothes have some sort of stretchy something in them (ahhh...). I think this whole thing sounds fun right now, but it might be like the time I made up fun punishments for my roommates and I if we didn't do our chores. They were way fun to make up but actually having to go over to Tony's house and sing "Tha Thong Song" by Sisqo was not.

No comments:

Post a Comment