Monday, April 19, 2010

Living Levitically #3: losing before I start

I got a text from Lindsey, who is also in my Leviticus class, tonight - all of her underwear is more than one fabric. Looking at mine, same story. Welp, I guess I'll just have to break that Levitical law and put it in the journal for the class. Clothing is easy enough, a lot of my simpler items of clothing are 100% cotton - no big deal. Shoes needed a little bit of thought. But I settled on my all-rubber flip-flops.

Although we haven't discussed the meaning behind this law in class, I liked what AJ Jacobs had to say about it on the website for his book: "--No mixing of wool and linen. This taught the ancient Israelites to keep things separate, good training for not intermarrying." This was a big principle for Old Testament Israel. God was working on making Israel a model nation for demonstrating His love and introducing the gods of other nations through marriage was distracting. I'm guessing the clothing was a metaphor.

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend Jacob's book on living biblically. It's freakin' hilarious, especially when he tries to stone someone and when he chooses to rise before his elders at 4:30pm, in a restaurant, in Florida. i laughed for days.

    ReplyDelete