Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Living Levitically #4: Day One

Yesterday was my first day living Levitically. What was most on my mind the whole day was my outfit - restricting oneself to clothing of one fiber isn't technically that difficult, what made it hard was the fact that something outside of myself was determining my behavior. I had to submit in an area of my life where I am not used to being told what to do. This simplified my life because I wasn't as in control, it was an eerie feeling. None of my underwear was made out of one fabric, so I will be breaking that law all week.

I am certain that I forgot to stand when elders with gray hair were in my presence. This practice forces me to be aware of my surroundings in a way that I am not used to. I will try to be more aware tomorrow.

I am doing okay not eating any animals on the black-list. I don't eat a lot of meat anyways. I’m not sure what to do about the law of not eating fat. There is fat in most things that I eat. Based on class discussions, I am assuming that this law has to do with sacrificing the best portions to Yahweh. I am interpreting this law to mean today that I should not indulge in very fatty foods.

I mention that I am doing this assignment to people and get various responses. From facebook I got jokes about me stoning people. From church friends I got questions about random laws that weren't in Leviticus. No one had ever heard of the standing in the presence of elders law.

I hated at least one of my friends in my heart. I asked for forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment