Monday, April 26, 2010

Living Levitically #9: Day Six

I wore a sweater today that had its tag ripped out so I did not know whether it was made out of one fiber or two. However, it was really cute and matched my outfit so I went ahead and wore it. My desire to do this assignment is slowly slipping. Sunday was wet and cold and all I wanted to do was wear pants. However, all of my pants or leggings had stretchy stuff in them. Because of this I got a rash where my rain boots (which were allowed although certainly made out of mixed materials) rubbed against my bare leg – ouch.

I actually did pretty okay in following Leviticus 23:3 –Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work. It is a Sabbath to the Lord in all your dwelling places.” However, if you count talking to high schoolers in Sunday school then I did work on the Sabbath. I was lucky because on Sunday there was a Mini-retreat put on by the Women’s ministry at my church. So I spent a couple solid hours in solitude, journaling and praying. The fellowship I enjoyed with many generations of women was also a rejuvenating process. It was one of the most restful Sabbaths I have had in awhile.

On Monday in New Testament class we learned that the Sabbath was not only made for the Israelites but also for the nations surrounding them. I had not considered the evangelical benefits of practicing a Sabbath until now. Refraining from work for a day is a very noticible difference between cultures. Dr. Chapman said that the Romans considered the Jews to be lazy and thought of it as one of the weaker points of the religion and culture. Reflecting on how the Sabbath was spoken about in the New Testament, I love how Jesus defends the heart of the Sabbath to those who want to make it a burden. It seems quite kind and loving of God to institute it for us to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment