Thursday, April 15, 2010

Quick Break: "How Not To Steal" by A.J. Jacobs


My dad is the only person I know who does not steal. Ever. When we go on a road trip, he won't stop at a gas station just to use their bathroom. He feels that's stealing the station's paper towels and soap.

During my year, I tried to think like my dad. You must be constantly aware of the impact of your actions. Because we steal all the time: We steal office supplies. We swipe our neighbor's wireless. We steal time from a friend by being late. We steal from our kids' future by leaving the lights on when we go out of the house.

You have to think absurdly broadly. Is refusing to buckle your seatbelt an act of theft? Probably. If you get injured, you're taking medical resources away from others. What about eating a plate of trans-fat-filled curly fries? Probably stealing. Anyway, it tastes too good not to be sinful.

No comments:

Post a Comment