Friday, March 11, 2011

Something I learned today...Eggplants vs. Aubergines

vs.

13 year old N and I had a good solid 20 minute argument over Aubergines versus Eggplants. This is one of the many US vs. UK food names that I have discovered. Others that I can think of right now: Oregano (UK) = Cilantro (US). Swede (UK) = Rutabaga (US). Celeriac (UK) = Celery Root (US). I knew I was stubborn but am discovering how nationalistic I am.

Brief outline of the eggplant/aubergine debate:

N: (incredulous) Eggplant?! Wots an EGGplant??
M: (sigh) This. This what I'm cooking with. This is an eggplant. We went over this the other night with aluminum. Both are right. You say aubergine. We US people call them eggplants.
N: yeah because they're called aubergines.
M: no they're called eggplants
N: no they're called aubergines
M: why do you call them aubergines? that sounds french.
N: because they're called aubergines.
...immediately we're on google...
N scores an early point by looking up "eggplant" and finding that the actual vegetable is called an aubergine while the plant itself is called an eggplant. I suffer momentary losses. I regain composure and ask her to look up the etymology of "aubergine." Win. Aubergine is derived from the Arabic al-baoinjan. More win: then the FRENCH took the Arabic word and made their word: aubergine.
M: so basically you guys just used the French word while WE translated it to the ENGLISH word - eggplant.

Victory!! ...or is it? N proves to be a true contender and has not surrendered....yet. Part 2 to come.

1 comment:

  1. fyi: cilantro is coriander. oregano is the same both sides of the atlantic, just pronounced differently.

    ReplyDelete