Sunday, November 4, 2007

TV on the Internet



Well, as I mentioned before, my friends and my favorite illegal TV/Movie website got shut down (TV Links) and so I have been shopping for a new one since. Here are a couple promising (and legal!) candidates:

Veoh - A little clunky. It's mostly a flashy guide to all videos currently on the internet through YouTube, Google Video, etc.

Joost - my favorite so far. Joost has bought rights to some TV shows, especially old ones like 'Charlie's Angels' but I haven't quite figured out the system yet.

Hulu - very flashy and secretive. They're only in the beta stage right now and won't even let me get on. They bought more rights to TV shows (actually the ones you want) like the Office and Scrubs. Cool. But according to the NYtimes article on it (here) there will be tons of advertisements. Boo. But, hey, it's the future.
And, reason #2 that Hulu is the future? This vision: "Hulu has a unique agenda: to marry the largest collection of professionally-produced video to the widest audience possible. “We don’t have to worry about showing TV schedules or letting fans get to know the actors,” he said. “All we have to worry about is the video.”
In the age of TiVo, this is all that a TV provider can do.

1 comment: