Sunday, December 9, 2007

My So-Called Quarterlife Crisis



My parents used to watch the show 'My So-Called Life.' They wouldn't let me watch it because I was too young. My parents have always picked the most random shows as 'their' shows. From what I can remember, they have been: ER (until after George Clooney left, my mom had a crush), Ally McBeal, Boston Legal, and 24. Of course, 'My So-Called Life' being outside the boundaries of what they would let me watch, it has always held an appeal for me.

Well, now they have it on ABC.com (here). The first two episodes, anyways. It is a good show. The writing is fantastic, and Claire Danes rocks my face. They talk about amazing things. I wish I could have been friends with her in high school or be a youth leader and work with her now. She's brilliant.

Looking around Slate.com today, a video started playing that talked about the new online-only mini-drama called 'Quarterlife Crisis'. Apparently it's from the creators of 'My So-Called Life.' The quarterlife crisis is an interesting idea in of itself. People freaking out at age 25 (or younger, I guess, it's right after you stop school, so 22? or 18?) about all the choices ahead and how they are going to get a house that looks like their parents'. My favorite book on choice in today's global society is The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz which talks about how as humans we can't deal with infinite choice. We need boundaries on our possibilities. It's great, skim it.

But don't look up the webisodal 'Quarterlife Crisis.' It looks like it sucks. But do look up this Current video on the crisis, it's interesting: 'The Quarterlife Crisis'

3 comments:

  1. My So-Called Life is my favorite TV series EVER. Winnie Holzman is the creator & main writer, and just as responsible for Angela's voice as Claire Danes. Unfortunately Winnie hasn't been involved in Quarterlife, and you're right, it sucks. Herskovitz & Zwick produced both shows, but they didn't actually *write* for MSCL...and they are writing much of Quarterlife, so I must conclude they're just not very good writers. Especially for female characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ! Quarterlife is a revolutionary Drama Series that focuses on the 20-somethings of today. Quarterlife is a great internet series to have on the net so the people that spend alot of time on the internet who range from the ages of 12-19 could learn that after High School it's downhill from here if you don't do something about it. So I like Quarterlife it's a revolutionary show for the masses. Plus it's a show that you can escape from the same old, same old of television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - how much were you paid to write that up?

    ReplyDelete