Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Next Step



Two of my friends are in very different places. The scary and helpful thing about having friends who are all a year older is that when I look at their lives, I look at the coming attractions in my own.

One just bought relatively nice (versus Walmart's) flatware. In response to my remarks, she said something like 'yeah well, I'm not getting married any time soon so I thought I might as well get stuff that I actually like.'

And my other friend is listening to "I can't help falling in love with you," or whatever it's called, sung by Michael Buble. She's been doing this for the last couple months ever since her boyfriend's been gone on a semester abroad.

I see myself going more and more towards door number one. I'm already looking at Consumer Reports, looking into buying a good vacuum that I don't loathe (vacuuming is my #1 most hated chore), and am excited about getting nice measuring cups/spoons and carving out a life for myself where I'm relatively self-sustaining (materially - as in, I'm not looking to someone to lend me an iron the one time a year I iron something).

A neighbor I grew up up with got engaged this past week. We're the same grade in school and went to middle school and high school together. We're very similar in background and everything else. It's a little strange, but not in an unpleasant way.

I saw my old roommate from freshman year randomly today while she was clearing ice off of her car in the lot behind my apartment. Apparently she's has been dating my neighbor that we share the lot with for the past month or so and I had no idea. She's had about 5 or 6 pretty serious relationships in college so far. The conversation falls flat when she asks about who I've been dating. There's just not much going on. And that's okay.

I feel kind of numb towards it all, like I'm exempt from dating. Of course, this comes and goes. But overall, I don't know if I'd know what to do with a boyfriend if I had one. I guess that's nice for right now. But I'm still looking for a good vacuum.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you have this. I always really like reading it.

    ReplyDelete