Thursday, March 6, 2008

Color Forecasting


colors for Spring '08 (budgetfashionista.com)

This kind of stuff gets me really excited, being a Cultural Studies major. My friend from high school, Nancy, is at school at Colorado State in Fort Collins, studying Fashion (or something related, like Textile and Apparel Management). So she's doing a project on who gets to decide what colors are cool each season. This sounds like a conspiracy theory mixed with '1984', but such is life in the fashion industry, I suppose.

So who are these people? Well, one of the major groups is The Color Association of the United States

this is from the wikipedia article on them: "Many Color Cards or palettes are created for various industries each year. For each area of focus a committee panel is formed consisting of eight to twelve people, referred in the business as the "Color Czars." Each member of the committee performs their own research on what colors they feel will, should, dominate the next few years in that industry. The committee then convenes and they debate the merits of the member selections. In the end they choose 44 colors that will make it to the palette. According to Forecaster Ken Charbonneau, the process is a lot of debate before consensus."

Debate on what? Color fashion seems completely subjective to me. Yet, I know that I would not buy a tshirt that is mustard yellow right now but in 2 years I might paint my entire room that color. I am owned.

A list of the "Color Czars" (here).

Another major organization that decides these things (thank God there are more than one - we wouldn't want a monopoly) is Pantone.

In case you're curious, (here's) a huge PDF file from Pantone on what colors and styles are going to be cool for spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment