Thursday, March 6, 2008

math = cool


(primegrid.com)

I cannot overemphasize how much I do not value math. I'm taking the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) this Saturday and a portion of it is on math. Really, it's supposed to be math at a junior high level, but, as I studying up on it now I am gaining a lot more respect for myself for passing Pre-Algebra in 8th grade.

There is one thing that has always baffled me - prime numbers. I downloaded this program on my computer called SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) which scans for signs of alien life while my computer is idle. I know, I'm doing my part. But the same organization (BOINC) has a program (PrimeGrid) where you can use your extra computer power to search for new prime numbers. What? Exactly.

Well, studying for my GRE I re-learned what prime numbers actually are, and they're pretty cool. "A prime number is a number that is divisible only by itself and 1." Wanna know a quick and easy way to figure out if a huge number is prime? I know I do. "An integer is divisible by 3 (aka-not a prime number) if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3. For example, we know that 2,145 is divisible by 3 because 2+1+4+5=12, and 12 is divisible by 3." Whoa! Math is cool.

a crying baby was just carried into the computer lab, it's surreal seeing a baby on campus.

1 comment: