Thursday, May 15, 2008

Something to Study: Cloud Computing


"Cloud computing." From what I can gather (and not from the horrible wikipedia article on it), it's the future of computers.

Here's how it goes: instead of having computers with massive amounts of memory and installed software, you have a (comparatively) simple piece of hardware that connects to the internet (another version, but pretty much the same idea) where you access all programs and files that you bought access to.

Kind of like Google Docs. Most of my documents and presentations for the last semester have been on Google Docs. It's super convenient especially because I can access my files with ease when I work at the computer labs - I don't have to worry about a jump drive.

The more I think about this concept, the more it makes total sense that this is where technology is heading. Of course, I might be completely wrong. But this all sounds really sweet.

Another thing that makes me excited about cloud computing is the future of music files. At last, when I buy a U2 CD online, I don't have to worry about the license files being lost on my laptop or iTunes/walmart.com erasing the records that said I bought it. Once I buy something, it will be eternally mine. Along the lines of the Apple Air not having a disc drive, we won't need hard copies of anything anymore.

I'm still looking into this:
nytimes.com "Cloud Computing Gains Steam With New I.B.M. Gear"
nytimes.com "
Google and I.B.M. Join in 'Cloud Computing' Research"
nytimes.com "
I.B.M. to Push ‘Cloud Computing,’ Using Data From Afar"
nytimes.com "
Software via the Internet: Microsoft in ‘Cloud’ Computing"
businessweek.com "
Computing Heads for the Clouds" (really helpful)
businessweek.com "
Google and the Wisdom of Clouds"

1 comment:

  1. from what i've read, cloud computing is mostly important and amazing because the amount of computing power that can be attained is exponential, nearly limitless. that last article is one of my favorite that i've read. maybe because i'm infatuated w/ google!

    ReplyDelete