Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Darkon: Everybody wants to be a hero



I think the reason I love this trailer is because it provides evidence for an idea I have about why 95% of my guy friends love video games. I think there's an intrinsic part of us, as humans, that wants to go to war. Especially in men, there is a desire to fight a battle, to defend something, whatever. But it's there, and it doesn't leave. Maybe it's the desire to be a hero that then turns violent. Whatever it is, I think it's fascinating. And role-playing Darkon is comparable to playing Halo 3 for hours.

larping: (def) Live Action Role Play-ing

Thanks to Julie for finally finding this thing.

Darkon website
Darkon IMDB
Darkon Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. "Everybody wants to be a hero."

    That, and a lot of people want to be someone else.

    I role-play online (in play-by-post, not LARP or MMORPGS) (somehow I consider that less dorky), and I love it. I love pretending to be someone else, living in a different world, with different sets of rules.

    And RPing isn't limited to guys, either - most of my RPGs are 90% women, and more and more girls are playing games like Guild Wars or World of Warcraft. The main problem with girls in RPGs, especially MMORPGs like WoW, is that once a lot of male players find out that the person on the other end of the internet is omg female, playing ceases and it becomes "Hey, let's cyber". So lots and lots of girls pretend to be guys to avoid that. You can have girls pretending to be guys role-playing girls, which has a pretty interesting Victor/Victoria effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But wanting to be someone else starts with yourself and not living in a hyper reality.

    Equivalent to playing Halo 3? Not quite.

    ReplyDelete