Thursday, July 16, 2009

Quelqu’un M’a Dit

"What I’ve always loved most about this song more than anything is its origin story. It goes like this: Carla Bruni and Leos Carax were lovers. After Bruni left the forlorn romantic filmmaker, Carax heard a rumor at a party that his former lover still held a flame for him. He went home at once and wrote her a letter that began with “Quelquun m’a dit,” (i.e. somebody told me.) Somebody told me there might be some small possibility that you still love me – some sliver of a hope. While the epistle didn’t move Ms. Bruni enough to return to LC – it compelled her to put a melody to the words and “Quelquun M’a Dit” was born. Leos Carax is still credited with the lyrics. I don’t know how your readers feel about Lovers on the Bridge or Boy Meets Girl but any chance I have to funnel Carax some royalties – count me in. Dude has been on hiatus for a long time and it’s not like "Tokyo!" is going to put a whole lot of pate on the table [ed. Marc, watch for Carax's "Merde," his segment, it's awesome!]"

Marc Webb telling the story behind Carla Bruni's song “Quelquun M’a Dit





Quelquun ma dit - Carla Bruni

No comments:

Post a Comment