Thursday, July 16, 2009

how interesting!

"You, Joe, and Zooey are all about the same age — and this film feels very generation specific. Did you see it that way?
I'll stop short of saying it's all about this moment, but there are a lot of things about this generation that inform it. Cinematically, romantic comedies are born of a different era, when America was wrapping up the frontier era: If you're not happy in one place, you go find your fortune someplace else, so there's this happily-ever-after thing. I think nowadays you can't escape, so you're forced to have more nuanced, lasting relationships with people. I think people are more comfortable now with not having a happily ever "


...and I want to be friends and have long conversations with Marc Webb:
"I was a little hesitant to answer your request given the tone of some of your editor's posts. Then again I think skepticism can be a virtue – so here I am. Incidentally, I do think there are things more dangerous than “twee.” Cynicism for example. It’s fair to say we engage in pop culture to be enlightened, moved or to share some common experience. And when culture makers like musicians, filmmakers, artists, or bloggers become loyal to a form rather than a feeling –that is to say when they don’t actually believe what they’re creating – it becomes cynical. That can throw the experience off. Maybe that’s what your invectives are hinting at. The work stops being culture and starts being something else – propaganda maybe? I’m not sure. But it’s a worthy topic for discussion and I hope it continues in a manner that invites engagement."
Director Marc Webb, from The Playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment